Scegli dove andare

mercoledì 13 febbraio 2019

Restoration work on a Geloso G.256 vintage tape recorder - Part 2

This is the second part of my description of the restoration work I did on a Geloso G.256 vintage tape recorder. Please find part one at following link:

Restoration work on a Geloso G.256 vintage tape recorder - Part 1

In part two, I first did a gentle cleanup of the plastic enclosure of the unit, using some drops of soap in warm water, a paintbrush and a toothbrush.

Then it was time to look after the electronics. First of all, I measured voltages on socket pins of the two main tubes, the 12AX7 and the EL95. I found that all values were more or less as specified in the service manual. I decided to order two new tubes (just to make sure the unit was equipped with good ones), then I thought I could test the behavior of the unit with an old tape reel that had come with it.

The short video below shows the result (not that bad, I thought).
By the way, the song that the unit plays in the video was recorded from an old Italian TV show named "Canzonissima", in 1972.


When new tubes arrived, I put them into the unit and made a new test with the same tape. Frankly speaking, I didn't notice any special improvements. Anyway... well, now it was equipped with new tubes and it was time to reassemble the plastic enclosure and to complete my simple restoration attempt.

The replacement tubes: a EL95 and a ECC83 (12AX7)

The video below shows the final result. At the end of the day, I was satisfied with it. It had been a pleasure to play a bit with this little piece of history of consumer electronics in Italy.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Google+